I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I’ve always kept a journal, and do to this day. When I was younger and something wasn’t going my way, I’d write short stories about how I thought it should have turned out instead (I was very passive-aggressive).
I began my professional writing career by working in media relations for the New York Football Giants and New England Patriots, where I prepared weekly press releases for distribution to national media, researched and wrote feature stories, and was a member of the NFL PR staff at three Super Bowls. As the American PR representative of the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europa, I was responsible for all English-language media relations efforts.
After football, I earned a J.D. from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in 2012. My student Note on international adoption was published in the Cardozo Journal of Law and Gender. Being a lawyer means writing every day, and it is one of my favorite parts of the job.
I live in Stamford, Connecticut with my husband, who is a sportswriter, and my stepson, who is a goofball.
I am represented by Claire Anderson-Wheeler with Regal Hoffmann & Associates.
- My first name was partially inspired by Beth from Little Women, although I am definitely a Jo.
- During my time with the Frankfurt Galaxy, it was literally 80 football players and me living in a hotel in Germany with no other women. I loved those guys, and Super Bowl winner Remi Ayodele has still not returned my Grey’s Anatomy DVDs.
- My husband covers the New York Islanders for Newsday. His worst story tops my best one. We met while I was an intern for the New York Giants and he was covering the team, and we bonded over pulling a very memorable prank on one of the offensive lineman.
- When I was little, I used to play bookstore in my room, and would grumble, Liz Lemon-style, about imaginary customers who failed to properly re-shelve the books.
- I love living in Stamford, because to me, it will always be where the members of the Baby-Sitters Club went to visit the good mall.
- My favorite books are To Kill a Mockingbird, Anne of Green Gables, Travels With Charley, Little Women, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena and too many others to list.